Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Fri June 13, 2014
WCAI's Local News Roundup: No smoking in the Seashore; Great White Shark numbers are up; and more
WCAI Managing Editor Sean Corcoran leads a discussion about the top local news stories in the region with Anne Brennan of the Cape Cod Times; Joshua Balling of the Nantucket Inquirer and Mirror; Jim DeArruda of the New Bedford Standard Times; Sally Rose of the Provincetown Banner; Geoff Spillane of the Mashpee Enterprise; and Nelson Sigelman of the Martha's Vineyard Times.
The journalists discuss a new development plan for Buzzards Bay; a smoking ban at the National Seashore; a poaching problem when it comes to baby eels; the demolition of the beloved Yarmouth nightclub, the Mill Hill Club; a judge tells Sandwich's former superintendent to pay the town's attorney fees; an appeal is filed regarding a proposed mid-island Stop and Shop on Nantucket; Cape and Island homeowners get a break after the state rejects an increase in homeowner insurance rates under the FAIR plan; and the area's fishermen are concerned that not everyone will get a piece of forthcoming disaster relief funds.