Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Around the Nation
Fri March 28, 2014
Fastest Growing U.S. City Is A Retirement Community
Originally published on Mon March 31, 2014 11:24 am
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Linda Wertheimer.
The fastest-growing city in the country is not what you'd expect, not a trendy tech hub, not an edgy edge city. It's The Villages, in Central Florida. Nobody under 55 can live there. Aging boomers have made The Villages the biggest retirement community in the world - specializing in microbrew, golf courses and November-December romance; also, the world's longest golf cart parade.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.