Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Around the Nation
Fri May 23, 2014
Unopposed Candidate Left Off Ballot
Originally published on Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep with the story of a man who lost an election even though he was unopposed.
Curtis Mele expected a third term on the City Council of Benwood, West Virginia; nobody ran against him. But on Election Day, he got a call saying his name was accidentally left off the ballot. Another councilman was listed in his place. The county clerk says there could be a rerun but the councilman disapproves. He's afraid that if there's a revote he might face opposition.
You're listening to MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.