Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Around the Nation
Thu March 20, 2014
Tattoo Of Handgun Triggers Call To Police
Originally published on Thu March 20, 2014 6:37 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
Michael Smith, of Norridgewock, Maine, has a really convincing tattoo of a handgun on his lower stomach. This week, he woke up to a crew cutting trees outside. He marched out to tell them to stop with his shirt off. A bit later he woke up again, to a SWAT team with rifles trained. The tree cutters had mistaken his tattoo for a real gun tucked in his belt.
Smith told the police, quote, "I got plans today. I don't want to get shot." He was not charged.
You're listening to MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.