Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Thu February 13, 2014
Reports: Comcast To Buy Time Warner
Originally published on Thu February 13, 2014 12:22 am
Comcast is expected to announce its acquisition of Time Warner on Thursday, various media outlets report.
Bloomberg, citing "four people familiar with matter," says Comcast will buy the cable company for about $44 billion, "combining the largest two U.S. cable companies in an all-stock deal."
The New York Times reports that Comcast and Time Warner don't currently compete in many markets. But, it adds:
"Nonetheless, regulators will surely look carefully at the impact on the deal to consumers, and may also focus on whether the combined company will have additional power in negotiations with cable networks, a recent source of tension in the industry."
Comcast announced its acquisition of NBCUniversal from General Electric in February 2013. As the Times notes, "the latest deal would be its second big act to radically reshape the media landscape in the United States."