Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Mon March 10, 2014
Model Cannolo Takes To The Skies In Sicily
Originally published on Mon March 10, 2014 9:59 am
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. Sicily has joined the space-age.
Amateur scientists have launched the Sicilian Space Program with a homemade spacecraft, a helium balloon, and at the tip of the tiny vessel: a cannollo put the cherry on top.
Well, given the extreme conditions, the clay cannollo, still, cameras filmed the classic cream filled pastry soaring into the stratosphere, capturing a sweet view of the sunrise. One small step for pastry.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.