Most Active Stories
- Point Your Binoculars Skyward: Comet Lovejoy is Visible Over the Cape and Islands
- Former "Charlie Hebdo" Intern Fondly Remembers Those Killed in Paris Attack
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- SLIDESHOW: Photos Celebrate Beauty and Importance of Ocean Microbes
- Thomas Land Coming To Edaville USA
Mon May 12, 2014
Kenny G. Closes Up Shops In China
Originally published on Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep with a song stuck in China's collective head. "Going Home" by Kenny G. It was an American hit in the 80s and the New York Times reports it has spread all over China. It's played at stores and markets all over the country to signal when closing time is near. Shopkeepers themselves aren't sure why. Maybe it's a signal to leave. Maybe it just makes people want to go.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.