Most Active Stories
- Getting Creative: Managing the High Cost of Living on Nantucket
- State Faces Pipeline Quandry as Electricty Costs Spike
- Edgartown Explores Tides As Potential Future Renewable Energy Source
- Keeping Nantucket Powered is a Challenge as Electricity Demand Rises
- "Scout" The Seal Pup Heads Back To The Wild
Fri August 22, 2014
The Inevitability of Pluto
Greg O'Brien is a journalist with a mission; writing what might be his last story ever. O'Brien has Early Onset Alzheimer's disease, and his cognitive functions are rapidly declining. It was in the face of this scenario that O'Brien wrote On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer’s. The book is part-memoir, part insider's guide to dealing with Alzheimer's, and part attempt to raise awareness for the disease. The book was released in June.
Greg will appear on The Point wth Mindy Todd Tuesday August 26
Alex Kapelman documents O'Brien's fight against Early Onset Alzheimer's .This piece came to us from Atlantic Public Media through their media training program; the Transom Story Workshop in Woods Hole. Alex was in last spring's class. A new class is coming in October. You can find out more about the program at Transom.org.
Our series Creative Life is edited by Jay Allison and made possible by The Circle of Ten, ten local businesses and organizations committed to local programming on WCAI
You can see a trailer of Greg in the film series Liveing with Alzheimers here